Kapehu Falls Retreat House
£390 average per night
Idyllic 20-acre, Ocean-view Estate With Streams, Waterfalls, Groves And Gardens.
- Sleeps 10
- 3 Bed
- 4 Bathroom
- Children welcome
- Private pool
- Private pool
- Internet access
- Hot tub
- Children welcome
- Beach towels
- Deck / Patio
- Dining area
- DVD Player
- Golf course nearby
- Hair dryer
- Housekeeper extra
- Iron and board
- Linens provided
- Living room
- Music library
- Outdoor furniture
- Outdoor lighting
- Pets not allowed
- Porch / Veranda
- No smoking
- Towels provided
- Video library
- Wheelchair inaccessible
Kitchen and household
- Dishes and utensils provided
- Coffee grinder
- Coffee maker
- Clothes dryer
- Full kitchen
- Pantry items
- Washing machine
- Carbon Monoxide detector
- Deadbolt lock to entrance
- Emergency exit route
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Smoke detector
The Kapehu Falls Retreat House is a grand, spacious home that recalls the charm of a plantation estate from a bygone era. Yet, it is an exquisitely crafted newer home combining comfortable space, an open floor plan, and modern amenities.
High ceilings. Wainscoting and Victorian-style moldings. Rich chestnut and marble floors. Tall windows. Casually elegant furnishings. Stunning views in a refreshing, historic setting.
Our property offers the peace, serenity, privacy and nature that will melt away your stress. We are located 10 miles (15-20 minutes) from downtown Hilo, on the lush and scenic Hamakua Coast of the Big Island, with stunning ocean views. Perfect for couples, families or groups looking to escape tourist traps and the hustle-bustle of city life and relax in the vibrant natural environment of authentic Hawaii. Enjoy the property’s private waterfall and swimming hole below it. No city lights to dim the night sky: great star-gazing! Utter peace and quiet - no traffic noise, no city sounds, no nearby neighbors. Absolute privacy: between you and the nearest road is a eucalyptus forest.
ESTATE & GROUNDS
- Experience exceptional privacy
- Sweeping ocean views and the most amazing lanai from which to enjoy it.
- Surround yourself in nature and tropical beauty in all directions.
- Rolling gardens, including an orchard of fruit trees, banana groves, lilikoi (passion fruit) and pineapples.
- 15 acres of eucalyptus forest.
- Two streams.
- 2 waterfalls. 1 with with a natural swimming pool beneath it.
- Nearly a mile of private road behind the gate for running or walking.
HOME & AMENITIES:
- Large house with 4 bedrooms, sleeps up to 10 maximum (4th bedroom available for parties of 5+ paid guests)
- 3 full marble bathrooms and a half-bath, plus an outdoor shower for rinsing off after a hike or a trip to the beach. (3rd bath available in studio suite with 5+ paid guests)
- Beautiful furnishings throughout the spacious home.
- Fully equipped gourmet kitchen with ocean views, granite counters, gas range, large refrigerator, oven, microwave, blender, toaster, coffee maker, rice cooker -- everything you need to prepare your gourmet meals.
- Indoor dining room has a beautiful mango wood table and eight matching chairs.
- Wraparound lanai has an outdoor dining table for eight, chaise lounges and a hot tub
- Living room has a fireplace for those rare chilly evenings.
- Marble-floored laundry room is equipped with washer and dryer.
- Carport with space for two vehicles to keep out of the sun and rain.
Ten miles (15-20 minutes from downtown Hilo) on the lush and scenic Hamakua Coast with ocean views, this is a storybook vacation paradise! Perfect location near beautiful waterfalls and river valleys. The Kapehu Retreat House offers the 'out in the country' feeling, yet you’re only a short drive from retail, restaurants and attractions
- Several black sand beaches for swimming or surfing
- Several gorgeous botanical gardens
- 2 zip line parks
- Famous waterfalls
- Sugar Mill and Train museums
- Scenic Pepeekeo drive and trails through Onomea area
- Akaka Falls State Park
- Hamakua Coast
- Honomu Village
- One hour drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- One hour drive to Waipio Valley
- All the conveniences of Hilo with access to many conveniences you’ll find on the mainland (movie theatre, shopping center, grocery stores, Starbucks, etc.)
The climate at Kapehu Retreat House is perfect year round. Situated at 900 feet elevation, the air is cooler than at the beach or in Hilo: upper 70's F to low 80's during the day, and upper 60's F to low 70’s at night most of the year. In the winter it can get down to the low 60's at night with a daytime high in the low to mid-70's.
OFF-THE-GRID LIVING & LUXURIES:
The property is rural which means you can use this time to truly unplug, but we do have options available should you choose to stay connected. We do not have a landline phone, but most cell phone carriers work pretty well in the area. We offer DIRECTV and high speed cable fiber Internet from Hawaiian Telcom.
Water is provided from Hawaiian rainwater purified by filtration and UV light. Propane tanks supply the gas for the stove and dryer, and the hot water heater is solar powered. Like most homes in Hawaii, there is no air conditioning or heat on the property, but the home’s temperature can be regulated through the many windows which catch the cool ocean breezes. It rarely gets hot at this elevation, and the nights always cool down to 70 or below. If heat and humidity are a problem for you or your guests, you may wish to rent an air-conditioned hotel room.
ABOUT KAPEHU FALLS PROPERTY
When you rent the Kapehu Retreat House you don't share it with anyone. You get the whole house, all 4 bedrooms, the washer/dryer, carport, hot tub, everything - all to yourselves. You'll share the 20 acres with the guests of our Creekside Cottage vacation rental, but it's unlikely you'll see or hear them: the 1-bedroom cottage is across a creek and 2/10ths of a mile away.
Because of zoning restrictions and the one-lane farm road it's located on, the owners cannot allow any events, receptions, commercial activities, or large gatherings on the property. Maximum number of people using the house: 10. Maximum number of vehicles at the house: 3. NO EVENTS.
Studio Suite is available to groups paying for 5 or more guests. Groups of 5 or more get access to the studio bedroom. Groups of 4 and fewer do not. Your price reflects this. It is available to groups of 4 or fewer as an upgrade, simply by booking a 5th guest at a cost of just $35/night.